The Dell hard drive error code 0142 is one of the most reported issues from the Dell users. If you are a Dell user, you will encounter this error at least once while working with your system. It primarily occurs due to a faulty or a misconfigured connection. However, if you are encountering similar issues with your Dell device and do not know the ways to fix the issue, do not worry. In this article, we have mentioned a few of the easy yet effective solutions to resolve the error without any hassle.
Fundamental Reasons Causing The Dell Hard Drive Error Code 0142
The Dell error code 2000-0142 occurs when the computer fails to successfully read the information from the hard drive. When the drive of your computer is dead, or it is getting corrupt you may encounter this error code. A few of the primary reasons causing the error are as follows:
- If the connection you are using with the hard drive to the motherboard is faulty or misconfigured, you will get this error code on your computer screen.
- Another reason that might cause the error is the corrupted data or the MBR (Master Boot Record) on the hard disk. This often crashes the computer.
- Often overheating of the computer can also create the Dell hard drive error code 0142.
Know How To Fix Error Code 2000 0142
If you are encountering the Dell error code 2000-0142 and do not know the easy ways to resolve the error, by performing the methods as given below:
Method 1: Perform Disk Check-In Command Prompt Using Windows Installation Disk
In case, you are using a corrupt MBR, this method will help you to recover the corrupt data. Before, performing the method, you need to back up your data to a new disk. Perform the following steps to implement the process:
- At first, you need to put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start your computer.
- Now, you need to press F8 to startup and then choose the DVD drive.
- Then, you need to select the language, time, currency, a keyboard or an input method. Next, you need to click on the Next option followed by the Repair your computer option.
- Finally, click on the Operating System that you want to repair and then click the Next option.
- Now, in the System Recovery Options dialog box, you need to click the Command Prompt option and then type the chkdsk /f /r or command in the box. Now, hit the Enter key.
Method 2: Reinstall The Windows You Are Using
Another solution that you can try to fix the error is by reinstalling your Windows to resolve the Dell hard drive error code 0142. If you are using any corrupt Windows files, or any corrupt or missing MBR data, you are likely to face this error. Install the Windows again and check if the error still troubles you.
Method 3: Replace The Hard Drive Disk
If the methods mentioned above, did not work for you, try out this method. You can also fix the glitch by replacing the Hard Disk Drive as the disk might experience permanent failure. Therefore, you need to look into the SSD (Solid State Drives) instead of the HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and fix the issue which you are encountering. HDD’s are more prone to this failure since they use spinning platters and moving heads. So, replacing the Hard Disk Drive to a new one will instantly remove the error.
Method 4: Slave The Erroneous Hard Disk And Try To Recover Data
Even if the above-mentioned methods fail, you can recover your important data. Perform the following steps and fix the error:
- You will require an external USB to connect it as a secondary drive and connect to another computer.
- A PC usually has extra cables for connecting another SATA drive and try to read your disk.
- If only the MBR sector or the Windows files are corrupt, then you can access your data. In such cases, the computer can still read the Hard Disk Drive.
- You can retrieve your important information by changing the read heads or taking out the platter onto functioning read heads.
Hopefully, the methods mentioned above will help you to fix the error and provide you a smooth functioning instantly.