The IP address help to identify each computer for communicating over a network. It is basically a string of numbers which is separated by a full stop. The static IP address is a particular type. Nowadays, we require high speed internet to run private or public servers. So, everyone wants their server to be fixed with the same number all the time in order to access their servers. It is very helpful when VPNs are being set up for remote access to your business office resources. But most of us don’t know how to set up static IP’ address. In this article, we have discussed the methods which help you to set the static IP of your device.
Advantages Of Static IP Address
In case of stability, Static IP addresses are more stable in compared to a Dynamic IP address. Dynamic IP address changes every time while connecting to the Internet, due to which it causes a lapse in the internet connection. Also, your device might encounter issues while reconnecting to the new address. But, the scenario will be different, if you keep one static address in your device. Also, static IP address is easier to maintain or assign which helps to track the Internet traffic and assigns access to the users on IP address identification.
How To Configure Static IP Of Your Device
To setup static IP, you need to first find the address for your Operating System. Here we have illustrated the methods for finding the address of Windows and Mac separately.
- First you have to click on the Windows icon which you will get at the taskbar to open the start menu.
- After that, you need to open the Settings just by clicking the gear-shaped icon in the lower-left side of the Start menu.
- Now, click on Network and Internet option. And then, properties. On scrolling down, you will get an option named WiFi heading. Click on it, you will get a list of information about your WiFi connection here.
- Note the “Default gateway” address. You have to enter this address in the Web Browser in order to access your router’s page.
- Press Windows + X to open the Advanced Start Menu. Now, click on System which you will get under the Advanced Start menu. On clicking, a window will appear to you containing your Windows specifications. Now, note your computer’s name.
Method For Mac
- Click the Apple logo which you will get at the top-left corner of the screen. A drop down menu will appear to you which is popularly known as Apple menu.
- In drop down menu you will get an option named System Preferences. Click on that option and a window will open to you where you will get the Network option. Click on it.
- Now, click on the Advanced option which is available in the Network window. Then, a new window will open. There you will get a TCP/IP tab which is normally available at the top of the window.
- Note the router address. It will help you to access the router’s page.
- In order to find your mac name on the router’s page you need to know the name of the Mac.
Setting A Static IP address
You can start the method by opening a Web browser. Then, enter the router’s address in the address bar at the top of the browser window and then press enter,this will open your router’s page. Find the list of connected internet items and also find your computer’s name. After that, click on the Reserve button, you will probably find this option below the computer’s name or and router’s address. Now, click on Save or Apply. On doing so, it will save your changes and provide new IP address to the computer.
Hope the above solutions and information given in this article will help you to set a Static IP address in no time.If you encounter any issues while applying the solutions, then connect with any professionals for resolving your issues.