Previously, Windows had an option for cumulative updates. But in Windows 10, updates are no longer optional. It has made sure that every device has the latest security patches, bug fixes, and improvements. Sometimes, it may hamper your workflow and slow down the device. In order to get rid of this issue, you need to stop Windows Update.
How To Stop Windows 10 Update: Easy Hacks
We have illustrated some hassle-free solutions which help you to stop Windows 10 updates.
Solution 1: Disable Windows Update Service
This method will stop the Windows 10 automatic updates for a while. The service will re-enable itself after a certain amount of time.
- Press the Windows button and R key simultaneously to invoke the Run dialog box.
- Now, type the command service.msc in the command box and then press Enter. A new window will appear next.
- Choose the Windows Update option by double-clicking on it.
- In the startup type, select the Disable option and then click Apply and OK to save the settings.
Solution 2: Change The Settings Of The Group Policy Editor
If you want to stop the automatic Windows 10 updates, then Group Policy Editor is a reliable option that you can opt for. It will notify you about the updates regarding Windows 10 without automatically installing them. This feature is available in almost every version of Windows 10 except Windows 10 home edition.
You can start the method by pressing the Windows button and R simultaneously. A new command box will pop up. Type gpedit.msc into the box and press OK. After that, go to Computer Configuration, then select Administrative Templates. A list will open to you; from there, choose Windows Components and at last, select Windows Update. Now, double-click on the Configure Automatic Update option. From the new tab that opens, you need to select the Disable option. At last, click on Apply followed by selecting OK to stop Windows updates.
Solution 3: Meter Your Network Connections
If your device is connected to Wi-Fi, then only you can apply this method to turn off automatic updates Windows 10.
Move the cursor to the Start icon which you will get in the taskbar and click on it. On clicking, you will get a list of options. Select the Settings app. After that, choose Network and Internet. Now, choose Wifi which you will get in the left pane and then click on the name of your Wi-Fi connection. In the end, tap on the option ‘turn on set as metered connection.’
Solution 4: Change The Way Of Windows 10 Updates Using Registry
- Select the Windows key and R simultaneously to open the Run command line.
- Then, type regedit in the command box and then click OK which will open the registry.
Browse the following path:
- After that, make a right click on the Windows(folder) key, choose the option New and then tap on the Key.
- Now, name the new key WindowsUpdate and then press Enter.
- Again, make a right click on the newly created key, then select New, and click on Key.
- Now, name the new key AU and press Enter.
Inside the newly created key, right-click on the right side, select New, and click on DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Name the new key AUOptions and press Enter.
Double-click the newly created key and change its value to 2. Select the option that reads “Notify for download and notify for install” and clicks OK.
- At last, select the Close option which will close the registry in order to complete the task.
Note: This method is very effective. It will prevent Windows 10 from downloading updates automatically and every time, you will get notifications regarding the new updates of Windows 10. But this method is risky too. Sometimes, changes in the settings of the registry will remove all the data from your device. So, it’s always better to make a back-up of all your data before applying this method.
Windows 10 is the latest version of Windows and it comes with some unbeatable features. Among them, Windows 10 automatic update makes your device always updated. You need not to look for updates anywhere. But sometimes, it restricts you from working because it slows down the device while downloading the updates. So, if you want to stop Windows 10 automatic updates, then you can apply the solutions given in this write-up. Hope the above solutions will help you to turn off the automatic updates Windows 10 without any hassle.