BIOS is one of the most important components present in your system. It facilitates communication between your operating system and the hardware components. Not only that, but it also provides the computer its utility to enable productivity. Just like other operating system and drivers, the updates for BIOS are often released which includes changes that will keep your system software compatible with other systems.
Thus, in order to minimize errors and subsequent downtime which are caused due to BIOS bugs. One should always try to keep your BIOS up-to-date.
Why Updating The System BIOS On Your Dell PC Is Important?
Dell recommends updating the BIOS on Dell PC as per the scheduled update cycle. By updating the BIOS on a timely basis, your current system software will not have any compatibility issues with any of its system modules like firmware, hardware, drivers or software. In fact, the updated BIOS also provides security updates and increases stability. But BIOS has to be updated manually unlike most of the Windows and anti-virus programs. If you don’t know how to update BIOS then, you need to know the system’s BIOS version.
Easy Way To Check BIOS Version From System Information:
There are several ways to view the System Information screen on different Windows versions, such as:
- For Windows 8 and 8.1 version– Type Run in the search box and press Return and you will get Run box. There you have to type in “msinfo32” and then click on OK.
- For Windows 10 version- Go to the Search box and type “msinfo32” in it. Then, press the Return button.
- For Older Windows– At first, click on the Start button and then click on Run. Then, go to the Run box and type “misinfo32” in it and then click on OK.
After you successfully open the System Information window, ensure that in the left navigation window, the System Summary is highlighted. Moreover, on the right summary window, you can look for the BIOS version and date.
Elementary Steps To Update Your System BIOS Within Your Windows System:
It is significant to keep your Dell system BIOS up-to-date because the newer releases of BIOS will have improved diagnostics and hardware compatibility. Furthermore, it will also provide security updates to increase the stability of your Dell system.
You can follow the below steps to update your system BIOS in Windows:
At first, open any web browser, be it Chrome or Mozilla Firefox and visit the Dell support page.
- Then, you might be asked to “Identify your product”. If this is the case, then you can either enter your Service tag or choose the option “Browse for a product” for manual selection.
- If the system is shown incorrect, to click on “View a different product”. After that, you have to again enter your service tag or you might also opt to browse manually.
- Once the correct system is selected, you have to click on the tab which says “Find it Myself”. Then, scroll down to the page to view where it says “Refine your results”.
- From the pull-down category menu, choose the option BIOS. This will refine the results on the BIOS category.
- If you find that more than one file is listed, then you have to click on “View details” on the recent version of the BIOS.
- After that, click on “Important Information”. Then, select “Download File” option to start the download
- Now, once the downloaded is completed, you need to save the file on your desktop.
- Then, double-click the downloaded file icon on your desktop and follow the on-screen instructions for completing the installation procedure.
How To Update BIOS Dell On Systems With BitLocker Enabled?
The best and easiest solution for resolving this issue is by suspending BitLocker before updating the BIOS. You can do so by going through the below-mentioned steps:
- At first, click on Start and then go to Control Panel
- From there, select the option “System and Security” and then, choose “BitLocker Drive Encryption.”
- Then, select the option “Suspend Protection”. After you select this option, you might be prompted to select the “Yes” option for confirmation.
- Now, you can visit the Dell Support website to download and update the BIOS
- After you have updated the BIOS on your Dell system, you can then “Resume Protection.”
Effective Technique To Update Your System BIOS On Dell PC Through A USB Flash Drive:
If your system is unable to load Windows, then also you can update the BIOS on your Dell PC through an alternative way. For that, you have to use another system for downloading the BIOS file and then save it to a bootable USB Flash Drive. If you don’t know how to update BIOS Dell by using a USB Flash Drive, then you can follow the steps mentioned below:
- At first, download the BIOS update .exe file to another system
- Then, you have to copy that file on the bootable USB Flash drive
- After that, insert the USB Flash drive into the Dell system which requires the BIOS update
- Then, restart your system. The moment you find that the Dell Splash logo displays the One Time Boot Menu, press F12 key.
- Thereafter, select the “USB Storage Device” by using arrow keys.
- Press enter and the system will automatically boot to a Diag C:\> prompt
- Furthermore, type the full filename of the downloaded file and then hit on “Return”
- After that, you will find that the BIOS Update Utility will load.
At last, you have to follow the on-screen prompts and instructions for updating the BIOS on your system.
Hope that the above methods will help you in updating the BIOS on your Dell system. But in case, if you have tried all the above methods and then also you fail to update BIOS on your system, then you can ask for a professional’s help for resolving this issue.