Most of the people are unaware of the public setting of your Windows network. Malfunctioning often prevents your computer from communicating with other devices in your local network where you are unable to transfer photos between your mobile and your computer. If you are also encountering the Windows 10 change network to private error, go through the article given below. We have mentioned here a few of the reasons causing the error and also the ways to fix them.
Fundamental Reasons To Change Network From Public To Private
Windows 10 allow users to select the type of network connection they want to use, for eg: private or public. Depending on the type of connection, Windows consider the user to determine how the PC interacts with other devices on the network. Windows ask the users to choose the network type when the first connection is made which often leads them to choose the wrong label mistakenly. If you are also encountering issues while Windows 10 change to private network, go through the article given below. We have mentioned few of the probable reasons causing the error and also the ways to fix them. The error may also arise due to having a wrong, incorrect network profile for a connection. Private connections are for home or closed office purpose or for such situations when the number of the users are limited.
Effective Methods On How To Change The Network From Public To Private
If you are encountering the Windows 10 change to the private network error and if you do not know the ways to fix it, go through the steps given below:
Method 1: Change The Network From Public To Private Using Windows Settings
The best way to fix the error is by using the Windows Settings. If you want to change the network from public to private, perform the following steps:
- Click on the Start menu and then select Control Panel.
- When the window opens, you need to click on the HomeGroup option under Network and Internet.
- Now, you need to click on the Change Network Location link option. Upon clicking on the option, a message will appear on your computer screen asking you “Do you want to allow your PC to be discoverable by other PCs and devices on this network” and then click on the Yes button. On clicking on ‘Yes’ the network will be set to ‘Home’ or ‘Work’ and if you click on the ‘No’ button it will remain a public network.
Method 2: Change The Network Type Through Windows Registry
Alternatively, you can also fix the error by changing the network from public to private using Windows Registry. To implement the process, perform the following steps:
- Click on the Start menu and then go to the Run option.
- When the Run dialog box appears, type the ‘regedit’ command.
- Now, you need to go to the following key:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Then you need to click on the Software option.
- Now, select Microsoft and then click the Windows NT option. Then you need to select NetworkList under the CurrentVersion option. Finally, hit Profiles.
- Now, when the window opens some sub-keys with different GUIDs will appear on the screen and this corresponds to the number of network cards that you are using with your computer.
- Now, you need to select each of the subkeys and then look for the Profile Name key. It will appear in the right pane of your screen and you will get the name of the network so that you can easily change the network that you want.
- When you identify the right subkey, you need to change the Category DWORD value. You need to enter 0 in the field for the public network and for private you need to enter 2.
Method 3: Change The Network Type Using Local Security Policy
However, you can also change the network type using the local security policy. If you do not know the ways to proceed with this method, go through the ones given below:
- Open the Start menu and then click on the Run option.
- When the Run dialog box appears on the screen, type secpol.msc.
- Now, you need to choose the Network List Manager Policies option and the list of all the networks will appear in the right-hand pane.
- Then, you need to double-click on your network. Now, go to the Network Location tab and then change the Network location type to either Not configured, or to private or public.
Method 4: Changing Network Type Using PowerShell
The following steps will help you to complete the process using PowerShell.
- First, click on Start and open the Run dialog box. Now, you need to type the following command.
- Get NetConnectionProfile
- Now, you have to select the network name which you want to change.
- Then you need to run the following command:
- Set-NetConnectionProfile -Name “ITT” -NetworkCategory Public
Method 5: Fix For WiFi Network Connections
To change the network type from public to private and if you are using wifi network connections, you need to perform the following steps:
- At first, you need to click on the Wifi network icon.
- Now, click on Properties and select the Wi-Fi network’s name you are using. It is also known as the SSID.
- Then, at the top of the screen, under the Network profile option, you need to change the network settings from Public to Private.
Method 6: Fix For Wired Network Connections
If you are using a wired network connection and do not know the process to change the network connection from the public network connection to private, go through the following steps:
- First, left click on the network icon. You will find it right at the bottom of the screen.
- Upon clicking on the icon a window pops up.
- You need to click on the first network that come up such as ‘Network Connected’.
- Now, click on the Ethernet option and then left-click the first network item that appears.
- Finally, select the Network profile option and then change the network connection from Public to Private.
Hopefully, the steps mentioned above will instantly fix the Windows 10 change to private network error.