While operating your printer, you may have often encountered a ‘printer in error state’ issue. It states that the printer is offline and cannot perform its operation. The problem generally occurs when you install new updates on your system. These new updates prevent the connected devices such as a printer from carrying on its work. If you are using a HP printer and come across HP printer in error state, follow the guide to know the factors causing this trouble and the recommended ways to fix it.
How To Fix HP Printer In Error State Issue?
Here are some simple ways to fix why your printer is in an error state.
Check The Connection Between Your Printer And Computer
A lack of connection between your printer and computer is the foremost reason to cause this error. So it is the primary step in moving forward with this issue.
- Disconnect the printer from your computer and reconnect it.
- Plug in your printer to a source of power and turn it on.
- If you are connecting your printer by using a USB cable, then replace the cable if it is defective.
- Restart your computer to ensure that you are not getting the same error again.
Check The Internet Connection
- Turn off both your printer and computer.
- After sometime, restart both of them.
- If you are using a wireless printer, then check that your PC is able to recognize it or not.
- If your computer continues to display the offline status on your printer, then proceed to the next solution.
Update Or Reinstall Printer Driver
- Click on the ‘Start’ button and open ‘Devices and Printers’ from the search box.
- Locate your printer from the list of the printers available on your system.
- If your printer has a yellow colored icon next to it, then its require a driver.
- Visit your printer manufacturer’s website and click on ‘Support and Drivers.’
- Now select ‘Download drivers and software’ and enter the name and model number of your printer in the search bar.
- Choose the version of your Windows Operating System and select ‘Download the driver.’
- Once your computer finishes the download, run the installer to set up the driver.
Enable The ‘Use Printer Online’ Option
- Press Windows key and ‘X’ at the same time to open the Control panel.
- Open ‘Devices and Printers’ and find out your printer.
- If the printer displays the status ‘Offline’ instead of ‘Ready’ next to it, then it is offline.
- So right-click on your printer and select ‘Use Printer Online.’
- As the display changes to ‘Ready’, do a print test to make sure that you are no longer getting the offline error.
Use The Device Manager
- Press Windows key and ‘R’ to open the Run box.
- Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the Run box and click ‘OK’ to open the Device Manager.
- Go to the ‘View’ menu and select ‘Show hidden devices.’
- Expand the ‘Ports’ category, right-click on ‘Printer Port’ and select ‘Properties.’
- Click on the ‘Port settings’ tab on the ‘Printer Port Properties’ dialog box.
- Now select the option, ‘Use any interrupt assigned to the port’ and enable legacy plug and play detection.
- Click ‘OK’ to apply the changes and restart your Windows to check the status of your printer.
Ensure That The Print Spooler Is Running
- Type ‘services.msc’ in the ‘Run’ box and press ‘Enter.’
- Select the ‘Print Spooler’ and set the ‘Startup type’ to automatic.
- Go to the ‘Recovery’ tab and select ‘Restart the service’ for ‘Fast Failure.’
- Click on the ‘Apply’ to implement the changes.
- Type ‘C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers’ in the search box.
- Select all the data inside the printer folder and delete them.
- Restart the printer and check its status.
Uninstall And Reinstall The Printer
- Unplug your printer from your computer.
- Open Device Manager and chose ‘Printers and Scanners.’
- Right-click on the printer driver installed on your PC and select ‘Uninstall.’
- When the confirmation box pops up, check the option, ‘Delete the driver software for the device’ and click on ‘OK.’
- Then click on ‘Uninstall ‘ and restart your system after the driver has been uninstalled successfully.
- Go to your printer manufacturer’s website and type your printer’s model number.
- Click ‘Download drivers and software’ to search for the latest driver available for your printer.
- Click on ‘Download the driver’ and run the command, ‘setup.exe.’
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install the driver.
- Restart your computer an turn on your printer to ensure that you have resolved the error.
If you follow the solutions carefully, then you won’t have any trouble in resolving this issue.