Dell is a world-class company that manufactures computer hardware and software. Among many products, this company’s computer range i.e. desktops and laptops are the most popular ones. This company has earned a good name, due to its good quality of products and availability of all the driver software within its website. Despite all the good qualities that the products of this company have, even then you can get some minor or major issues. One issue that you can get is the Dell laptop touchpad not working.
This issue occurs due to the faulty hardware or corrupt touchpad driver. Also, you can get this issue if the driver software has become outdated, due to some reasons.
How To Fix Dell Touchpad Not Working
In this section, you will get the points to fix the Dell laptop touchpad not working issue. Now, follow the points below to solve this error.
Allow/Enable The Touchpad In Your Dell Laptop
You can enable the touchpad in your Dell laptop touchpad not working follow the tips that are down below.
- Tap on the ‘Start’ button and then select the gear icon which represents the ‘Settings’ that is above the ‘Power’ button.
- In the ‘Settings’ window, choose ‘Devices’ category.
- Choose the option ‘Mouse & Touchpad’ from the list ‘Devices’ on the left side of that window.
- In the new window ‘Mouse’, go down to the lower part of the window and choose a link ‘Additional mouse options’ within the ‘Related settings’ heading.
- A ‘Mouse Properties’ window will come up. In that window locate and select the tab ‘Dell Touchpad’ or ‘ELAN’ or ‘Device Settings’ whichever is available. Now, under the ‘Devices’ you will get the name of the touchpad in the list.
- Finally, select the touchpad and then tap on the ‘Enable’ button.
Update The Touchpad Of Your Dell Laptop Computer
You can resolve the issue of Dell laptop touchpad not working if you update the driver to the latest version. To do so, you can follow the tips down below.
- Type in device manager and then from the search results select the ‘Device Manager’ and a new window with the same name will show up.
- In this window, select the device ‘Mice and other pointing devices’ and expand it.
- After you expand this device, choose the driver that has the name of the touchpad. Now, right-click on that driver and select the option ‘Properties’.
- In the ‘Dell Touchpad Properties’ dialog box, select ‘Driver’. In that tab, hit on the ‘Update Driver’ button.
- Now, select the option ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ and then it will be downloaded and installed on its own.
- If you manually search this driver from the internet and download it. Then to install it, go up to the new dialog box that is in the previous point and select the option ‘Browse my computer for driver software’.
- Select the driver software that is present in the folder and then the Windows will itself install that driver and thus that driver is updated.
Update The Dell Touchpad Driver Via A Third Party Application
You can use third-party application also to update the Dell touchpad driver. To do that, follow the tips below.
- First, download a correct third-party application and then install it on your machine.
- After you install this application scan the touchpad driver software and if it needs to update then tap on the ‘install’ button.
- Finally, examine if the touchpad in your Dell laptop is working or not.